GP practices in Hampshire are trialling a new online service called eConsult to give adults medical advice via their GP practice’s website which is already helping patients get support more quickly.
The scheme is also freeing up precious time for doctors to see the patients who need their help most.
What is eConsult?
eConsult is an online tool that offers patients immediate self-help advice or can be used to send an online consultation directly to your GP who will reply within 24 hours. It may also help patients to manage certain conditions, without the need to attend the surgery in person. The tool, mainly hosted on GP practice’s websites also includes signposting to other services and a symptom checker which can help them establish whether they need a GP appointment.
Dr Tom Bertram, GP lead for eConsult, explains more about eConsult in the video shown above.
How it’s helping
Findings so far show that over 1,500 people a week have used eConsult in Hampshire. Since the pilot started in July more than 3,500 GP appointments have been saved.
Many visitors seeking information on a range of health issues find out what they want immediately – giving them 24/7 healthcare. In an earlier pilot study, 60% of patients were able to get the help they needed without visiting the practice.
Dr Tom Bertram said, “eConsult provides better access for patients at a time convenient to them, in the comfort of their own home; better health outcomes as patients are presenting earlier; and improved practice efficiency by encouraging patients to self-triage where possible.
“It’s a win-win scenario. In my own practice, despite being early days, it is saving thirteen appointments a week, which equates to one GP session a week or frees up appointments so other patients can be seen more quickly.”
Where can I find eConsult?
eConsult is live in the following practices. Please visit their own website to find out more about how to access the service.
- Adelaide Medical Centre, Andover
- Charlton Hill Surgery, Andover
- St Mary's Surgery, Andover
- The Friarsgate Practice, Weeke, Winchester
- Bishops Waltham Surgery, Bishops Waltham
- Stokewood Surgery, Fair Oak, Eastleigh
- Wickham Surgery, Wickham
- Blackthorne Health Centre, Hamble
- Hedge End Medical Centre, Southampton
- Red and Green Practice, Hythe
- The Arnewood Practice, New Milton
- New Milton Health Centre, New Milton
- Barton and Webb-Peploe, Lymington
- Chawton House Surgery, Lymington
- Wistaria and Milford Surgery, Milford-on-Sea
- Lyndhurst Surgery, Lyndhurst
- West End Surgery, West End
- St Luke's Surgery, Hedge End
- Waterfront and Solent Surgery, Hythe
- Oakley and Overton Partnership, Oakley
- Brockenhurst Surgery, Brockenhurst
- Sway Surgery, Lymington
South Eastern Hampshire
- Grange Surgery, Petersfield
- Pinehill Surgery, Whitehill and Bordon
- Swan Surgery, Petersfield
- Bosmere Medical Practice, Havant
- Elms Practice, Hayling Island
- Emsworth Surgery, Emsworth
- Park Lane Medical Centre, Havant
- Staunton Surgery, Havant
- The Homewell Curlew Practice, Havant
- Queenswood Surgery, Waterlooville
- The Vine Surgery, Waterlooville
- The Clanfield Surgery, Waterlooville
North Hampshire area
- Boundaries Surgery, Four Marks
- Chineham Medical Practice, Basingstoke
- Crown Heights Medical Centre, Lychpit, Basingstoke
- Oakley & Overton Partnership, Overton, Basingstoke
- South Ham Surgery, Basingstoke
- Wilson Practice, Alton
- Hackwood Partnership, Basingstoke
- Kingsclere Health Centre, Kingsclere
Fareham and Gosport area
- Brook Lane Surgery, Sarisbury Green
- Highlands Practice, Fareham
- Westlands Medical Centre, Fareham
- Fareham Centre Practice, Fareham
- The Portchester Practice, Fareham
- Jubilee Surgery, Titchfield
- Lockswood Surgery, Park Gate
- Stubbington Medical Practice, Stubbington
- Bridgemary Medical Centre, Gosport
- Brune Medical Centre, Gosport
- Bury Road Surgery, Gosport
- Forton Medical Centre, Gosport
- Gosport Medical Centre, Gosport
- Lee-on-Solent Medical Practice, Lee-on-the-Solent
- Stoke Road Medical Centre, Gosport
- Waterside Medical Centre, Gosport